Thursday, August 30, 2007

Curiouser and curiouser

Even as someone who's expressed sympathy for Larry Craig (R-ID), I must confess to amusement at the way that his fellow (no, I don't mean it THAT way) Repubs are leading the pack calling for him to resign from Congress. The wonderful Gail Collins explains it all for us in today's New York Times.

I particularly liked this gem: "Mitt Romney absolutely raced to condemn his former campaign committee luminary. Really, it was a good thing that when word about Craig first came out there weren’t any small children or elderly people between him and the nearest microphone. Romney not only wanted to distance himself from anything involving the term 'he said-he said,' he was also fighting the whole school of thought that discounts the importance of a candidate’s private behavior. As the only leading Republican candidate for president who is still on his first wife, Romney wants private behavior way, way up there at the top of the list."

The more I see of Mitt, the harder it is for me to tell whose hypocritical moralizing I like less, his or Larry Craig's.

No comments: