Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Be of Good Cheer

As I write this, Americans are going to the polls. (Many citizens, who live in states with early voting, have been going to the polls for the last week or so.)

I have no inside information about the outcome. My message is not about the results of this election.

And yet I say, Be of good cheer, my friends. Whether the Democrats pick up five seats in the House or fifty, two seats in the Senate or seven, two years from today, Americans will throw George Bush and his people out of the White House.

Aha, you say, that idiot doesn't know that Bush isn't going to be on the ballot in two years (barring a coup d'etat).

But I do know that, and when I say that Bush and his people will be thrown out in two years, I don't mean merely that W and Deadeye Dick and their henchpeople will be cleaning out their offices twenty-four months from now. I mean that anyone espousing Bush's policies and doctrines will be trounced in 2008. If Republicans want to have a prayer of holding on to the Oval Office, they will have to find a candidate who repudiates Bush, his programs and his line of thought. Tall order for a party that has made "thinking" (if you can call it that) in lockstep a central principle.

Yes, two years is a long time. We shall have to endure stress and crisis and disheartening developments before we get there. Yet the first rays of the new sun are even now beginning to glimmer over the horizon.

My fellow Americans, it's morning in America. (Now wait a minute, I think someone else used that line.....)

No comments: