Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Change they can believe in

A new poll finds that more than a quarter of adult Americans have left their childhood faith for another faith or no faith at all.

I find this interesting, because I have never thought of leaving my "faith," Judaism. Not that I have ever been observant: I consider myself religious, but not devout. I am not sure if I am an agnostic. (Yes, you read that right.) But being a Jew is more than prayers or even a belief in God. Isn't that true of all religions? Indeed, isn't that why we differentiate between religion and theology? Being a Jew, to me, is an approach to one's existence; praying is distinctly secondary.

My non-Jewish friends (some of my best friends are non-Jews) are often surprised when I point out that Jews argue with God; this seems to be foreign to their concept(s). Remember the biblical story about how God ordered Abraham to sacrifice Isaac? What most people don't fasten on is that Abraham argued long and hard with God about the command. Only when God made it clear that he would brook no resistance did Abraham pick up the knife; as we know, having tested Abraham, God then relented. Sometimes, Jews argue with God and win. When God spoke to Moses from the burning bush, he asked who he should tell the Israelites had sent him to them. God answered in words that meant, "I have always been who I am," which the rabbis interpreted to mean "I have been with you in your slavery to the Egyptians, and I shall be with you in your slavery in the years to come." Moses argued that the Israelites should not be told that they would be enslaved in the future, and God agreed, saying that Moses should only say that he who had been with them in their slavery in Egypt had sent the prophet to them.

This is only one tiny part of Judaism--we don't have time even to begin a discussion of Jewish culture (hint: chicken soup is only the beginning). I am certainly no expert, not on theology or on chicken soup.

To most, I am sure I appear to be a very assimilated Jew; to some members of my own extended family, I am an apostate. They may all be right. But I am also convinced. For me, not for you. I hope, dear reader, that you are convinced in your faith, or lack of one.

No comments: