Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A sad day in Boston

Summer is over. The Swan Boats have been taken apart. The hulls lie in the pond in the Public Garden (and it is the Garden, not the Gardens), waiting to be transported to storage for the winter. No more this year will we see this scene:


Not until the long winter is over will the Swan Boats return to grace us with their languid passage over the still waters.

This is the time to pay attention to what a friend told me a few years ago, when his boat came out of the water: "I look at it as the first step toward next spring."

Cold comfort as the first chill breezes of autumn swing down on us.

3 comments:

Leanderthal, Lighthouse Keeper said...

When I lived in Maine the four seasons were called: Early Winter, Mid Winter, Late Winter and Next Winter.

The Old New Englander said...

The way I heard it was that in Maine there are two seasons: Winter and the Fourth of July.

Anonymous said...

Well I haven't seen the Swan Boats all season, in fact I haven't seen them in a few years. So I feel no compulsion, to agree with your take on the mirth of the season. To me, it's a glad thing to know it won't be over 90 degrees again until the next God forsaken time New Englanders call summer - a better name perhaps, should be the months of frying. Bring on the snow! Ho ho ho!